PETS IS A REGISTERED , NON-PROFIT, PRO-ACTIVE, PRO-LIFE ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANISATION. (PBO No: 930025719)
PETS was founded by Anoux Massey in 2007.
PETS (Pet Empowerment in Townships) strives to empower animals in townships and poor communities. We work with the community to improve the lives of these disadvantaged animals by giving them daily meals, warm shelters, regular inoculations, sterilisations and vet care in emergencies. We also rehome those ones that are unwanted, unloved or lost.
We try to instil in the communities, a responsibility and pride for their animals by not just empowering the animals, but also by educating and helping the people uplift themselves. We believe in working hand in hand with the animals and people of these impoverished areas to create unity, trust and stability for all.
OUR KEY PRINCIPLES AND POLICIES
- Non-Profit: We rely solely on public and corporate donations to cover the costs of our astronomical vet bills, feeding schemes, sterilisations projects and upkeep of our foster pets
- Pro-life: We only ever euthanase if it is in the animals best interests and there are no other options - we fight for each life.
- Pro-active: We do not sit around and wait for animals in need to come to us. Instead we spend every free minute we have (much to the distress of our families) in the townships LOOKING for the animals that need help.
- Sterilisation: Our main focus is sterilisation in townships. Since 2007, we have sterilised over 3000 animals.
- Foster Care: We believe in foster care because it enables the animal to become part of a loving and caring family immediately which enables it to feel safe, loved and nurtured. In these environments the animals flourish far quicker than they would have in a kennel situation. Our foster kids are introduced to other animals, cats, dogs and kiddies to try and make them well adapted to all. As most of our animals are rescue out of horrible conditions in townships, some do come with intense fear and uncertainty, and some take longer to 'defrost' than others, but we have had a 100% success rate thus far!
PETS is run by a group of members and volunteers that put every spare minute into helping animals. We are wholly indebted to all our wonderful foster families, volunteers and supporters; without their support only a small amount of what we do today would be possible. We work throughout the Western Cape, wherever help is needed and have supporters from all over South Africa.